Menu Hughes Gorski Seedorf Odsen & Tervooren, LLC Hughes Gorski Seedorf Odsen & Tervooren, LLC
Call Us Today 907-274-7522

Alaska man $106,725.23 behind in child support payments

When you go through a divorce that involves children, you have to ensure that you know what the child support and child custody agreement entails. Once you know what they call for, you have to follow those directives. Failing to do so can lead to serious consequences. For one Walla Walla man, failing to pay required child support has ended in a criminal conviction.

The 54-year-old man has an 11-year-old daughter. He was ordered to pay $767 per month in child support. The last payment he made to support his daughter was in October of 2005. U.S. Attorney Michael C. Ormsby says that a deadbeat parent fleeing the jurisdiction where his child lives and then refusing to pay child support is a federal crime.

While not all dads are "deadbeat" and there may be complicated reasons or inaccuracies within the system that unfairly peg a father as being remiss in his duties, other times, there is flagrant disregard for one's obligations as a parent. This father pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of willfully failing to pay child support. He has been ordered to pay $106,725.23, which is the amount he currently owes. The judge also ordered him to find and maintain employment. He also must complete 30 months of probation, according to the sentence given to him by the federal court judge.

This case shows how important it is for a parent to fully understand the child support orders set forth by the court. Anyone who is going through a divorce might have questions about various aspects of the divorce settlement. Seeking advice from an Alaska family law professional might help you to understand the terms, conditions, and requirements of all applicable child custody and child support orders.

Source:, "Walla Walla man sentenced for not paying child support" No author given, Feb. 14, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information