Menu Hughes Gorski Seedorf Odsen & Tervooren, LLC Hughes Gorski Seedorf Odsen & Tervooren, LLC
Call Us Today 907-274-7522

Father wants custody of kids sent to detention center

Earlier this summer, the nation was stunned by the news of a custody battle that had gone very badly. A couple's children were refusing to visit their father, so a family court judge ordered them to a juvenile detention center, albeit to be housed in an area with non-violent residents. Many parents in Alaska, particularly those involved in high-conflict divorces, likely became concerned that a situation could escalate so badly.

The judge in this case eventually relented and ordered the children released. However, the father of the children is not giving up. He has responded to his children's decision to not have a relationship with them by requesting a child custody modification order. Specifically, he is asking the court to give him full custody of the children. He believes that the children's mother has hampered his relationship with the children. He is also asking that her contact with the children be limited to supervised visits.

While it is unclear as to how this case will proceed, family courts will consider making changes in parenting agreements under some circumstances. This may happen when one of the parents argues that it is in the best interests of the children to reconsider the current arrangement.

Parents who are unhappy with their child custody arrangements may benefit from working with an experienced family law attorney. Legal counsel may be able to review the client's case with an eye toward what is in the best interest of the children. In addition, the attorney may also be able to arrange for appropriate evaluations by mental health professionals so that a strong case for a modification order can be brought to a judge.

Source: Yahoo! Parenting, "Dad Battling for Custody of Kids Who Were Locked Up for Refusing to See Him," Beth Greenfield, July 17, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information